Political Awareness and Involvement
Delta Sigma Theta has been involved in social action since its inception as an organization. The Sorority’s first public act was in March of 1913. Our Founders marched in the historic Suffrage March under the Delta Sigma Theta banner. Though non-partisan in nature and purpose, Delta understands the importance of and the need for an informed electorate. Voter registration and voter education programs, workshops and seminars highlighting elected public official assessment and accountability are ongoing. Our chapter also provides voter registration and training to the community. We promote social activism, targeted advocacy, and ongoing education specific to current and evolving county, local, state, national and international issues.
Through Political Awareness and Involvement, NDSA is able to confront the challenges of the African-American community. We work together to address many issues within the community through the implementation and execution of programs and events such as:
- Delta Days in the Nation’s Capital
- Red and White Day at the State Capital
- Voter Registration Drives
- Deputy Registrar for area Elections Departments
- Letter writing campaigns
- Souls to the Polls events to encourage voter participation
- Sisters Helping Other Sisters Toiletry Drive to Benefit local women’s shelters
- Support of World’s AIDS Day
- Funding for water well tank to provide clean water to children in African communities
NDSA will continue to use our influence toward the enactment of laws for the protection of our communities and the repeal of those laws that deprive human beings of their due rights and privileges.